Webster, Texas 77598
Original Building Completed: 1956
Building Area: 181,577
Building Capacity: 1,100
Bond Proposal: Complete Rebuild $ 30,804,660
McWhirter Elementary is the oldest elementary school in the district. The original building was built in 1956 and was called Webster Elementary. In 1971, Webster Primary opened right next door to the campus. In 1992, the two schools were combined to make McWhirter Elementary. The school is a maze for children to negotiate. A student must walk a quarter of a mile to see a nurse because they have to wind through two schools, connected only by an exterior awning. Safety concerns exist because there are more than 72 exterior doors compared to 10 to 15 exterior doors at the majority of CCISD elementary schools.
Rebuilding McWhirter Elementary will provide a smaller footprint for an elementary school resulting in increased energy efficiency and significant operational cost savings. Without a rebuild, McWhirter Elementary needs $14.2 million in priority repairs and replacement.